Saturday, July 7, 2012

Your Kindergarten Teacher's Pet Peeve!

Oh say it ain't so! I'm afraid it is true and I have to admit (although some experts might argue that at the Pre-K level it isn't all that important) it's one of mine too. Think you know what it might be, well it's not tattling! At least not for the purpose of this post anyway! :D  One of the biggest pet peeves of  many Kindergarten teachers especially at the very beginning of the school year is... children who, WRITE IN ALL CAPS! Yes, and there it is, in black and white or whatever color you may be viewing this is in. ;D I know parents can be very excited (and rightfully so) that little Johnny can write his name, mom's name and lots of other words but Johnny's teacher is not too thrilled that he writes as if he's shouting at her in an angry text message.




Now before you panic there is something you can do about it and it's really simple. After teaching little Johnny how to write in all caps (because they are much easier learn first) show him to also write his name using only one uppercase letter and the rest in lowercase letters since that is the way he'll be writing it for the rest of his life. It is also how we read and write unless it just happens to be the occasional Facebook post gone wrong! Believe me your child's teacher will thank you even if she never says it, she or he really does appreciate it!

4 comments:

  1. Great information, thank you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh! I am also a brand new blogger...just started last week and can't wait to get into this:) I will also be teaching k for the first time in 10 years so am super nervous. This was good information for me. Since I am not really sure what I should expect from my little kinders I probably would have thought they were doing awesome writing in all caps! I have so much to learn:) Hope you will come visit and follow my blog...maybe we can encourage each other on our blog journey!:)
    Rachel~
    teachingwithz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rachel will definitely be stopping by!

    ReplyDelete